Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to North Bethesda United Methodist Church
- When are services?
We worship at 10am on Sunday mornings.
Is Sunday School offered?
Church School is available to children and adults following our Coffee Fellowship after worship. Adult classes include Current Events, a book read, and Feasting on the Word, a study of the passages of Scripture for the sermons.
- How do I find the Church?
We are located at the corner of Old Georgetown Rd and Lone Oak Dr, just above the beltway and just below I-270. Our address is 10100 Old Georgetown Rd, Bethesda, MD 20814.
The closest Metro station which offers Sunday bus service to NBUMC is the Medical Center station, from which you can take the J2 Metro Bus to reach us.
Directions from the Beltway: Take the Old Georgetown exit and head north for approximately .3 miles. Turn left on Lone Oak Drive and the church is on the right.
Directions Coming Southbound on I-270: Take Rockledge Blvd/Old Georgetown Rd exit, go straight at the light coming off the exit and turn right onto Old Georgetown Road. Head south for approximately .5 miles, passing Democracy Blvd. Church will be on your right at the corner of Old Georgetown Road and Lone Oak Drive.
Directions from Westbound I-270 Spur: Take Old Georgetown Road exit, turn left at the light onto Old Georgetown Road and proceed south for approximately .5 miles, passing Democracy Blvd. Church will be on your right at the corner of Old Georgetown Road and Lone Oak Drive.
Please feel free to call the church office at (301)530-4342 if you need assistance.
- Where should I park?
- You are welcome to park in our lot on the west side of the building off of Lone Oak Drive.
- What are your communion practices?
- We celebrate communion on the first Sunday of the month. We offer an open table, meaning that all persons are encouraged to share in this meal of life. The usher will invite you to the altar rail. We take communion by intinction: the bread will be placed in your hand, then you may dip the bread in the second chalice and then eat the bread. If you wish to commune, but cannot come to the altar, please speak with an usher.
- I don’t know if my kids will be able to sit through a whole service. Is there any help?
- For children under three, there is a nursery service provided on the lower level in the Sunday School wing. Any member should be able to direct you to the nursery. During each service, there will be a children’s time for all children and their parents (if they wish) to come forward and sit on the steps of the chancel with the pastor. If your little one becomes very restless, you can take them to the parlor next to the Sanctuary. There are a few toys provided, as well as speakers so that you can hear the activities in the Sanctuary. If the speakers are turned off in the parlor, an usher should be able to help you.
- Does North Bethesda UMC offer Church School classes?
Beginning at 11:30 Sunday mornings, and lasting about an hour, we offer a number of different Church School classes, both for children and adults. An additional church school for young children, Prime Time, takes place during the 10:00am worship service. Please have a look at our Education page for this and other education opportunities at North Bethesda UMC.
Church school, except for Prime Time, is not offered during the summer months (between Memorial Day and Labor Day).
- Can I get baptized/married/confirmed at North Bethesda?
If you are interested in getting baptised, married or confirmed, please speak with Pastor Jeff Jones, who will be happy to assist you.
- Wedding Information Sheet and Application Form
- How do I join North Bethesda UMC?
- We invite all people who are interested in joining the congregation to attend a class, led by Pastor Jeff Jones. This class is an opportunity to ask questions, learn more about the Christian faith from a United Methodist perspective, and decide whether or not this is the time that that you would like to become a member of the congregation. We receive new members several times a year. Please speak with Pastor Jeff about your interest.
- I enjoy music. Is there a group I can get involved with?
- We have many musical opportunities for interested folks. See our worship page for more information.